Looking for an easy solution to keep your teeth healthy, hydrated, and cavity-free? Dental sealants have you covered!
Dental sealants are an excellent way to create a barrier between the surface of your teeth and decay-causing bacteria. Molar biting surfaces have numerous small grooves where bacteria can easily accumulate, leading to decay and destruction.
Keep reading to understand more about dental sealants and how they can help you.
What Is a Dental Sealant?
A dental sealant is a thin layer covering the grooves and pits of your teeth. It's a noninvasive way to help prevent tooth decay by preventing bacteria from getting into these areas. Dental sealants are typically applied in a dentist's office and last for several years. While they're not permanent, they're an easy way to protect your teeth until you can get them crowned or veneered.
Sealants are typically applied to the tooth in liquid form and then cured chemically or with light activation. The tooth surface is first treated with an acid etch to improve the wetting of the tooth with the liquid sealant and to optimize the mechanical retention of the sealant.
Several types of dental sealants are available, like composite resin, which is set through a polymerization reaction usually initiated by a dental curing light, and glass ionomer, which uses an acid-base reaction as they set.
Benefits of Dental Sealants
One of the major benefits of applying a dental sealant is that it prevents cavities. Cavities wear away at the tooth enamel until it reaches the softer dentin underneath it. If this happens, it can cause pain and infection in the tooth. A dental sealant creates an impermeable barrier between it and the bacteria. Once applied, sealants can protect you from 80% of cavities for two years.
In addition to preventing cavities, dental sealants also provide other benefits:
- Aesthetic enhancement - Sealants make teeth look whiter and brighter.
- Protection from tooth decay - Sealants shield vulnerable parts of teeth from tooth decay by providing a barrier between them and food particles or plaque buildup.
- Prevents expensive treatment - Sealants can reduce the need for costly and invasive treatments such as dental fillings or crowns.
- Shields against plaque and food - One of the significant benefits of dental sealants is that it prevents plaque and food from building up in hard-to-reach places like back molars.
- Quick and painless - Sealant application is a straightforward and painless procedure with only a few steps. First, the teeth are thoroughly prepared, so the sealants adhere well to the teeth. The sealant is then applied to the teeth, allowing it to flow through any depressions or grooves. It hardens after a while, and your tooth is then protected and sealed against bacterial attacks.
- Easy Maintenance - If the sealant becomes worn or chipped, the problem is relatively simple to resolve. Your dentist will apply more sealant as needed to ensure proper protection against cavities and tooth decay.
Dental sealants are highly beneficial for adults and children alike. As a result of the benefits, the federal government is trying to incorporate school-based sealant programs to help more low-income children.
Get a dental sealant from Dearborn Family Smiles if you and your family want to stay protected from future dental cavities or other issues. We provide top-notch dental care using modern technology and ensure you and your family are comfortable. Book an appointment today to get a happy, healthy smile!